It has been a busy week! Not as much actual drawing as I’d like, but I’ve made some good progress on some “business” goals. The biggest deal is that I finally got myself a proper YouTube channel (there should be a link in the sidebar…somewhere. Have I mentioned I’m not terribly competent with the ‘puter stuff? Just in case, this link should get you there…). It even has two whole videos on it! I spend a lot of time watching other artists draw whilst waxing eloquently about art and their process. It’s great inspiration and a good way to learn a few things about technique as well as various business aspects of being an artist. Somewhere along the way I thought maybe YouTube would be a good way to attract more eyeballs to what I’m doing here, which could lead to some actual shirt sales and a larger audience for some of the other projects I have in the pipeline. I don’t pretend to think that I’m all that exciting and interesting, but hey, with 7+ billion people on the planet and counting, there’s a decent statistical chance that a few people I don’t already know might like my stuff.
So anywhat, I filmed myself on two separate occasions recently, drawing two panels of IPMDT. I don’t have a proper tripod or filming set up, but fortunately I’m crafty. I found a 4″x4′ wide scrap of plywood from the recent flooring project. I slid that under a stack of books on the shelf right above my monitor so that it cantelevers out over my desk and tablet (which is where I plop my notebook to work on the panels). I put my phone on top of that, right above my drawing area with the lens hanging over the edge. It’s not pretty, but it actually works really well (and I have yet to smack my head on the plywood when standing up from my desk, which is a plus). I’ve got decent at editing video in Photoshop from all my years of American Ninja Warrior submissions, so it was pretty easy to edit those two videos. I even put together a custom intro and outro (i.e. ads) that I can easily pop into future videos. The hardest part was doing the voiceovers, but once I got going and got the nerves out of the way, I was barely squeezing in everything I wanted to say. It wasn’t a lengthy process (other than sitting and waiting for the videos to render, and then the time it takes to upload), so I plan to do them somewhat regularly. Eventually, I’ll even branch out and talk about some of my other, non-art Toby’s Brain stuff, like my wool jacket projects.
As part of all this, I decided I needed to have a custom logo for the channel, as well as a new avatar/icon thing to go with it. Because logos are fun. I did everything up until the actual circular border with text in Clip Studio Paint on my iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. It was the first time I’ve tried “painting” that way outside of Photoshop, so I wasn’t sure how it would go. CSP continues to blow me away. I might have a book cover project or two coming up soon, and I’m going to be using the iPad for as much of the process as possible (which means I could go work in the zen area or even outside…assuming we ever mow the lawn. The ticks have been horrendous…). I’m pretty excited about that. It’s been a while, so I figured I’d throw together another process post for y’all.
Hopefully next week will be back to more drawing, with maybe even a new video or two posted. I have a few timelapse drawings from back when I was using Procreate that I could re-edit and talk over, I just have to track down the rough footage (so far all I’ve located are the one minute long files I put together in iMovie to post on Instagram). Stay tuned!